Re: How should learning to program in c++ be approached, if learning objectives are sought to be customised?

Hello,

 I have tried a couple of times, but debian-gcc team didn't
respond to my earlier queries (but I shall post a copy of this one
there too, just in case).

debian-gcc maintainers maintain the gcc package for Debian, they are not responsible
for teaching people C or C++.

I suggest you start with Python: this language is very easy, there are lots of books, videos and free courses
(coursera etc) and there is even MicroPython for microcontrollers.

If you really want to learn C, read "C in a nutshell" by O'reilly.
The book with a cow on the cover.

C++ would be much easier to learn once you understand C.
For C++ you can read "C++ programming language" by B. Stroustrup.

But C++ is hard, really.

It would have been great, had a programming language been developed
that could address both the lowest microprocessor(machine)-level to
the most advanced user level programming, reading, comprehension and
application. Perhaps, AI shall fulfil this need.

Python should be your choice!

(2)   object library resources, references, explanations, et al
For C++ you can use https://www.cplusplus.com/reference/ as reference
https://en.cppreference.com/w/ is also good, but for advanced usage

(3)   Whether Eclipse could be used for c++
Yes. Also, Emacs, CLion or any other editor

(4)   Whether Device Drivers and other lower-level programs could be
designed with c++, like they are done in c or assembly level languages
(I am aware that KDE was written in c++, but ...).

Linux drivers are written in C, but technically you can mix languages: use C++ and link it against C.

(5)   Whether optimisation tools like valgrind and gdb are available
for c++ also
Yes, sure.