Re: Firewall blocking my new Debian 11 server ports 80 and 443

On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 03:39:05PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> I have not intentionally hidden anything, Greg--I just never saw the need for
> mentioning it given the dialogue--x.y.z.w is just shorthand. If you
> must know the exact IP address, it is 69.30.225.10.

OK.  Now we can actually start helping.

First of all, this is a regular old routable IPv4 address.  It's not one
of the non-routables, like 192.168.* or 10.*.  This is good.  It
eliminates a whole class of problems like "My machine's IP address says
192.168.1.2 but I can't reach it from outside my network", all of which
were still on the table until now.

Second, I cannot ping this IP address, nor can I telnet to port 80 of it.
(Nor port 22.)

I don't get an error, though -- just a hang/timeout.

If you can ping this, or ssh to it, or reach it on ANY port at all,
from the public Internet, then that's a huge red flag pointing to a
firewall that filters incoming connections based on source IP.  Such
a firewall could be on the host itself, or on a router which protects
the host.

If you can't do any of those things, then we don't get as much information
out of it.  It could simply be the wrong IP address for all we know
at that point.  Or it could be a misconfigured firewall, or the machine
could be crashed, or the network cable fell out, or any number of other
issues.