Re: any good books about the (art?, economics and) science of optimizing IO performance? ...

... somewhat surprised ...
methinks, if such a guide would be published, it is likely outdated.
Things are moving too fast.

I myself do use ZFS, NVMe, SATA and RAID on my SOHO machine, and the
complaints about licensing seem to be outdated by now. But there are
people busy with performance on the zfs-discuss mail list
<https://zfsonlinux.topicbox.com/groups/zfs-discuss>

Hope this helps.

--

Liebe ist ...