Re: setting path for root after "sudo su" and "sudo" for Debian Bullseye (11)

On 2022-05-22 at 14:53, Charles Kroeger wrote:

>> There is no silver bullet that makes your system secure.
>
> I get a login shell with $su --login
>
> I don't have sudo installed
>
> is there something heretical about that, I should know?

Not heretical, but - if something has compromised your user environment,
it could have replaced the command 'su' with a function which captures
the password you type, stores it for later use by malware (or even
uploads it to a remote server), and then invokes su properly (with the
same parameters you gave) so that you won't notice that this has happened.

The point / gist of this particular subthread seems to be that there is
no effective way to prevent this from happening - or even to *detect* it
with certainty, other than examining the hard drive while booted into a
running environment which has not itself been compromised.

(The old story about hacking the source of gcc to detect when it's
compiling /bin/login and insert a backdoor, and to detect when it's
compiling gcc and insert code to make it do both of these
detect-and-insert operations, comes to mind. That story as I learned it
always ended with the note that the guy doesn't *think* he ever let a
version of gcc which had been compiled to do these things out into the
wild... but he isn't completely certain.)

--
   The Wanderer