Re: Installing Jessie on VirtualBox

Hi,

as you can see from the other replies, Jessie is heavily outdated.
Do you have hard reasons not to use a newer version of Debian ?

Nevertheless i see it as an interesting technical endeavor to install such
a legacy system. If this would be impossible, why then keep all the old
software on the Debian servers ?

Antonino Saetta wrote:
> Till now, I've tried by downloading several images,

Which ones exactly ? Downloaded from where and by which tool ?
What kind of machine does your VirtualBox emulate ?
(32 bit x86, 64 bit x86, other CPU family ? PC-BIOS or EFI as firmware ?)

> - With the CD and net installations, it was not possible to scan the mirrors

On
  http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/
i still see a dists/jessie/ directory. So lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
like
  deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
should still work.

The .jigdo Files of the Debian ISOs know places where to get old packages:
  $ gunzip < debian-8.11.1-amd64-DVD-1.jigdo | tail -3
  [Servers]
  Debian=http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20190212T020859Z/
  Debian=http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/Debian/ --try-last

> - the DVD installer simply would not run the OS afterwards (see picture
> below)

No picture made it to the list. You will have to upload it somewhere and
post a link here.

In general i would have proposed to download (modulo machine type)

  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/jigdo-dlbd/debian-8.11.1-amd64-DLBD-1.jigdo
  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/jigdo-dlbd/debian-8.11.1-amd64-DLBD-1.template

and to use jigdo-lite to build a ~50 GB ISO with about everything that was
available back then.
Still very complete should be the first ~25 GB ISO:

  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/jigdo-bd/debian-8.11.1-amd64-BD-1.jigdo
  https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.11.1/amd64/jigdo-bd/debian-8.11.1-amd64-BD-1.template

But for that you will have to sort out the DVD problems first, i guess.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas