Re: Resetting a USB port in Debian 10

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 09:55:54AM +0300, Anssi Saari wrote:
> Jason <electron@emypeople.net> writes:
>
> > What is the best way to power cycle or reset a USB port? I need to do
> > this to reset a USB modem if it stops responding. The system in
> > question is Debian 10 aarch64 on RockPi 4b+.
>
> As far as I know, power cycling is not usually a function of USB.

Oh, it is. Cutting power to "misbehaving" USB gadgets is even part
of the spec, so a compliant port has to have the hardware for that.

Inconveniencing my favourite search engine (guess which one *not*)
yields a couple of hits:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4702216/controlling-a-usb-power-supply-on-off-with-linux
  https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/165447/turning-off-power-to-usb-port-or-turn-off-power-to-entire-usb-subsystem/321945#321945
  http://blog.andrew.net.au/2009/01/17
  https://superuser.com/questions/524391/how-can-i-power-cycle-a-usb-device-on-raspberry-pi

So depending on your hardware, drivers, kernel version and possibly
moon phase, you might be lucky :)

Happy poking