Re: What is the neat way of organizing files in /etc/network/interfaces.d ?

On Mon, 16 May 2022, Stella Ashburne wrote:

Hi guys

I connect to the internet using one of the following methods:

It's really hard to understand what you're wanting to do.

option 1.

Use a mapping

You have "interfaces" like
wlo1-doozy
wlo1-home
wlo1-cafe

And a script whose job is to return one of them.

ifup wlo1 will then start whichever one the script returns.

option 2.

Have a script that creates/deletes the files for you for the setup you
want.

option 3

Have a script that manipulates symlinks instead of the files.

option 4

Continue editing files like you are.

option 5

buy N identical computers and label them wlo1-doozy etc, use the
appropriate one.

option 7

go with something like network manager

Handling variable network setup is never easy. People want it to be
automagical but 'get it right' and often those things can be in
conflict. I use a mapping script, but the cost is that I have to do some
manual updates every time I want to connect to a new access point. Where
there's a portal I have to jump through more hoops.

The advantage of my setup is that I can connect to a particular AP which
is useful for debugging my home network where I have multiple AP that
overlap but (occasionally) one gets into a tizzy and 'normal' software
refuses to connect to the weaker but working one so I can reboot the
other broken one. (most people would just turn it off and on again but I
like a chance to look at logs first.)