Re: google account say it will no longer deliver email

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 02:40:53PM +1200, Ash Joubert wrote:
> On 13/05/2022 12:23, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > That's the value added in exchange for Ash's "massive pain in the arse".
> > Just making the 1st factor be
> > a loong password is not equivalent to 2FA in any way. Machine reaching back
> > to you is the difference.
>
> There are attacks that 2FA can defeat, especially things like password reset
> via compromised email server, but in general, two weak factors are not a
> match for a strong unique random password [...]

[strong, unique, random]

That's it. The unique part can't be stressed enough: if your have
umpteen services out there, it's a matter of time until one of
those passwords leak (incompetent service provider, phishing,
etc.). It better be different from your other passwords.

To minimise stress, I let a tool generate my passwords (pwgen).
Important ones are 16 char (disk & backup encryption, bank account
key armor, etc.), less important ones (e.g. local login) just 8.

Cheers