Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 05:27:30PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 03:39:39PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > But the next paragraph talks of the file "/etc/resolvconf.conf",
> > which has nothing to do with the resolvconf /package/, but is the
> > configuration file for the /openresolv/ package.
>
> What?  WHAT?!?
>
> You know, I REALLY TRY.

[...]

Rest elided.

Wow. This must be an example of what I call "emergent evil". Evil
emerges without anyone really intending it, like an anthill's
emergent behaviour.

Thanks for educating a happy person: in my box, neither resolvconf
nor openresolv are installed, and now I know I better keep it like
that.

FWIW, NetworkManager isn't either: it went out of the window
ages ago, while I was at a customer's premises, had configured my
ethernet and NM, installed by default, looked out of said window
and thought "oh, there's a WLAN out there, let's configure it
and set the default route to that".

A debugging session followed, after which I have no NM anymore.

The only program touching /etc/resolv.conf that I know of at
the moment is dhclient. And I found out the chattr way. It's
in some way satisfying to chattr a file and catch those
malfeasants whining in the logs :-)

Cheers