Re: google account say it will no longer deliver email

On 13/05/2022 01:23, Fero Dali wrote:
BTW as far as I understand OAUTH2 and two factor authentication
are the same thing. I might be wrong though.

They are not. OAuth2 is a delegated access framework: with OAuth2 for Gmail, you use your Google password once to authorise Google to give your email client a token that it can then use to access your email, contacts, and calendar and *only* those, and not any other Google services. This means that your main Google password is not stored in your email client, reducing the risk that it might be compromised, as well as limiting the access of your email client.

Two-factor authentication is when you need to confirm your login with an SMS message or one-time pad or other second way of authenticating that you are who you claim to be. 2FA is popular because users choose weak passwords and share them between services. If users generate a unique strong random password for every service, little is gained with 2FA, and 2FA is then just a massive pain in the arse. But user behaviour is unreliable.

Thunderbird supports OAuth2 and I use it for Gmail IMAP. K-9 Mail on Android does not support OAuth2 so I use the Gmail app on Android for Gmail alone.

Kind regards,

--
Ash Joubert <ash@transient.nz>
Director