Re: email lacks sender address (SOLVED)

On Sun 08 May 2022 at 11:08:08 (-0600), Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 12:07:00 -0400
> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>
> > When I installed the operating systme, the host name some how at a
> > numvber appended. I inteded to have nost name lenin, but it ended up
> > lenin-16. When I discovred that afer installation I corrrected the
> > host name in /etc/hsots and /etc/hostname.
>
> Systemd provides a program for setting the host name, called, oddly
> enough, hostnamectl. It may do other things you might have missed.
>
> I doubt it would have affected your router, though.

I'm really not sure who, and under what circumstances,
hostnamectl is for. I ran:

# hostnamectl set-hostname acerx

and /etc/hostname was changed, but not /etc/hosts, which still had:

127.0.1.1       acer.corp       acer

and also not /etc/mailname. I'm not saying it should have affected
those occurrences, but that it's better to check you have the
correct, consistent name throughout the system.

It's also not clear to me either, where one might insert this command
so that it takes effect early enough to avoid polluting the system
with wrong names. (The logs, for one example.)

> > Whats I didn't check  was what my router took to be my host name.
> > It did not reponse to my changed host name and I had to do it manually
> > in the router. Doing do seems to have solved my problem.

It would seem then that you were letting DHCP in the router set your
hostname as well as the usual IP address, nameservers etc, which
could be unfortunate if it doesn't agree. How you avoid that depends ….

Cheers,
David.