Re: Recommendations for a home server running Debian Bullseye (11)?

On 4/25/22 18:57, Felix Miata wrote:
Tom Browder composed on 2022-04-25 18:30 (UTC-0400):

I'm now 78 and don't do serious building any more--I stand a good chance of
frying a CPU! And I wouldn't trust any of my friends, either ;-D

IMO, almost everyone who can admin a server can build one. It's a lot simpler than
it was 30-40 years ago, a matter of assembling a modest number of parts (in rough
order for a tower form factor):

1: open the new case & lie on side

... on a cloth on a table, under good lighting.

Use laptop and open new system administration log file in editor. Put on reading glasses. Attach anti-static wrist strap.

2: pop I/O shield into place
3: lay motherboard into place
4: insert screws to hold motherboard to case (4-12 count)
5: position & affix power supply with 4 screws
6: attach CPU & main power cables to motherboard
7: Drop CPU into socket (thermal paste substitute has already been applied to new
ones), & clamp it down.
8: install CPU cooler
9: install RAM
10: drop NVME(s) into socket(s) & insert 1 screw (each)

I prefer to build the motherboard, processor, heat sink, fan, memory modules, M.2/ NVMe drive(s), etc., into an assembly, and then install the assembly into the case.

11: affix any additional internal storage devices (& optionally RAID controller)
12: position & attach the rest of the power & control cables
13: (optional) add discrete GPU
14: (optional) add more fan(s)

I do fans, drive racks, case modifications, etc., after step #1, above.

Optionally, CPU, RAM & NVME(s), & most CPU cooler types, can be installed to
motherboard before laying it into case.

+1

Often times the CPU power cable can be
difficult to install before the CPU cooler, or the PS itself.

Water cooling, air ducts, etc..

From here on, it's like a store-bought PC with cover off and no operating system.
Attach keyboard, rodent, screen, installation media, & power it up.

The Fractal Design Define R5 manual has good build instructions (and shows the product design/ engineering thinking that went into this chassis):

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Define-R5-manual.pdf

David