Re: Here Newbie---Amateur in Linus...Problem: Debian LXDE cannot boot

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 04:53:44PM +0000, Schwibinger Michael wrote:
> Good afternoon
>
> Thank You.
>
> Yes
> There is Kernel panic.
>
> So I do boot again in recovery.
>

> I ll send these 4 Files.
> I ll open them with leafpad.
>
> All logfiles are below /var/log/ , most interesting files are kern.log,
> syslog, Xorg.0.log and maybe also daemon.log.
>
> How cam  I control the packages?
>
> I think we do user Debian stable.
>
> 32 bit.
>

> Because 9 to 10
> had this problem,
> we did update 10 to 11.
> Same problem.
>
> What did we do?
>
> Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list using a text editor and replace each instance of stretch with buster.
> Update the packages index on Debian Linux, run:
> sudo apt update
> Prepare for the operating system upgrade, run:
> sudo apt upgrade
> Finally, update Debian 9 to Debian 10 buster by running:
> sudo apt full-upgrade
>
> Regards
> Sophie
>
> Thank You

Hello Sophie,

Ah, OK. The machine you have - what computer is it?

How much memory?

There are a few steps:

First of all, if you can access the mahine through recovery:

Can you show us _exactly_ what is in your /etc/apt/sources.list now.

Can you run

uname -a

And show us what kernel is running, please?

Can you run

cat /etc/debian_version

and show us what version is displayed, please.

---

>From  8 to 9

You changed /etc/apt/sources.list

Ran apt update ; apt upgrade ; apt full-upgrade

Did you reboot and check to see that the machine came up with the new version?

---

>From 9 to 10

Did you do the same?

---

At what point did it stop booting:

do you see any message on the screen?

do you have a blank screen?

does the keyboard work?

---

If you can split down to the simplest steps and tell me as if I am 3 years
old, it will help :)

With every good wish,

Andy Cater