Re: Can't setup a VM using SLIC data to activate Win10 in guest

Joao Roscoe writes:

[...]

I'm trying to migrate my VMs from VirtualBox to KVM/QEMU/VirtManager.

[...]

I then proceeded extracting and providing the SLIC/MSDM data, as described <URL:https://gist.github.com/Informatic/ 49bd034d43e054bd1d8d4fec38c305ec>here, However, the VM now fails to start/install (tried to re-create the VM using the same image file, and setting up the SLIC/MSDM info from the beginning), stating that the SLIC file can't be read.

[...]

What am I missing here? Any clues?

Have you checked the hint at the very beginning of the gist "apparmor/security configuration changes may be needed". I dimly remember that I had to do this when migrating from Debian 10 to Debian 11?
There is even a comment in the gist about it linking to
<https://egirland.blogspot.com/2018/12/get-rid-of-that-fng-permission-denied_7.html>

Also, did you try the `sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM` suggested in the comments already?

NB: IIRC, back when I migrated all my Windows VMs from VirtualBox to KVM, I had to re-activate them all...

HTH and YMMV
Linux-Fan

öö