Re: Solved (partially) Re: What happened?

On 2022-04-21 at 14:37, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Dennis Wicks wrote on 4/16/22 18:16:
>
>> When I first installed Debian 10, I installed Win 10 in a
>> virtual machine using KVM/QEMU and everything just worked. I
>> could copy/paste between host and vm and access host disks
>> in the vm. And zfs file systems worked.
>>
>> The main problem was that dpkg would kill the system trying
>> to setup
>> linux-image-4.19.0-18-amd64.

> Mark this SOLVED (partially): software problem.
>
> dpkg continued to kill the system trying to setup
> linux-headers. I discovered that dpkg will purge the
> linux-headers package and then I can try installing again.
> On one try I was running pg on dkms in an attempt to see
> what was going on that killed the machine. Two times I got a
> long screen full of tasks running various types of cc just
> before the crash.

What's "pg"? It doesn't appear to be e.g. a shell builtin ('type pg'
reports 'bash: type: pg: not found'), and I don't find it in the
archive. For example,

$ apt-file search -x /pg$

finds only two results, from the package grass-core, which appear to be
(parts of? related to?) database drivers.

> I set up my pg to repeat every few secs and spooled the
> output to a file. Then I started a tail on that spool file.
> Surprise!! It ran to completion!
>
> Here is my analysis: I have a big system. An AMD 8 core
> Ryzen running at 3.8GHz with 64GB of memory. I think that
> without any other load on the machine some task is getting
> started before it should and either steps on a task that
> should have finished by that time or can't find something
> that was supposed to be created by a task that hasn't run
> yet. It has to be something serious because all the
> screens/sessions are cleared and the system is frozen. I
> have to use the reset button to re-start and once or twice I
> have had to cycle the power to get re-booted.

This doesn't look like a terribly likely scenario to me, but if it *is*
what's happening, that's definitely a bug - though a bug in what is less
than clear.

--
   The Wanderer