What happened?

When I first installed Debian 10, I installed Win 10 in a virtual machine using KVM/QEMU and everything just worked. I could copy/paste between host and vm and access host disks in the vm. And zfs file systems worked.

The main problem was that dpkg would kill the system trying to setup
linux-image-4.19.0-18-amd64.

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Debian 10.11. That process managed to install linux-image-4.19.0-19-amd64 and everything was fine. Then somewhere in the process of installing additional software apt? killed the system trying to setup linux-image-4.19.0-20-amd64. (I found out that I could do dpkg --configure for each package individually and skip the linux image and headers.)

And, now I can't copy/paste between host and vm, can't access host disks from the vm, and the zfs file system doesn't work! And then because dpkg killed the system so many times the archive file is locked somehow and the various apt(x) programs and dpkg won't run, so I can't install any tools or different software to try and fix the problems!!

ARGHHH!

If anybody has any hints or tips or pointers toward any possible solutions I would appreciate hearing them!

TIA,
Dennis

PS; dpkg says;

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. W: Could not lock the cache file; this usually means that dpkg or another apt tool is already installing packages. Opening in read-only mode; any changes you make to the states of packages will NOT be preserved!