Re: Strange syslog behaviour [Solved]

On 11/4/22 12:00 pm, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
On 11/4/22 11:46 am, David Wright wrote:

There are tabooext and taboopat directives for ignoring files in
logrotated.d, and I would have thought it reasonable to exclude
these sorts of housekeeping files by default, because they're very
likely to contain some duplication. I would file a bug against
logrotate.

Keywords tabooext and taboopat don't appear in /etc/*

I did get a hit in binary file /usr/sbin/rsyslogd

Further to resolving the problem, on one system I ran

logrotate --debug /etc/logrotate.conf

And discovered that /etc/logrotate.d/inetutils-syslogd was also being loaded. It had duplicates of many entries in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog

I have no idea why inetutils did this. I recall inetutils also did some other bad stuff I had to disable.

All I wanted was ping but I got a world of hurt as well!

--
Jeremy