Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 21:29:30 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 08:19:52PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > forbidden of trying to do network scans, but the sysadmin wants to
> > > know. I can't blame him (I'm on speaking terms with him ;-)
> >
> > Not forbidden?
> >
> >   I know a corporate network or two which would get you disconnected
> >   if you do that :
> >
> > Disconnected? That doesn't sound permissive.
>
> In my book, forbidden would mean *you* get disconnected from the
> institution. Your machine disconnected from the network and having
> to do "pretty please" to the admin... I'd say "fair enough". Wouldn't
> be *my* policy, but I can live with that.

I wouldn't say "fair enough", but the dictatorial and irrational
decisions of sysadmins might oblige me to live with that. Just
as I live with the agents of survellance capitalism.

> > > Now now. No reprimands. The firewall notices and disables that one port,
> > > That's all.
> >
> > I was controlled by an inaminte agency? Is that any better than being
> > controlled by an agent of survellance capitalism? Either way, my actions
> > are monitored. My communications are intercepted and censorship applied.
>
> Could be worse, believe me. At a lower protocol level [1] it's even part
> of the protocol, i.e. mandatory :)

OK, I know when I am beaten into the ground. :)

--
Brian.