Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 20:39:15 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 06:47:36PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 10 Apr 2022 at 15:40:28 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 01:40:29PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I know a corporate network or two which would get you disconnected
> > > if you do that :)
> > >
> > > Then you've got to go to the firewall admin and beg for being reconnected.
> > > So if you try it, first make sure you are on speaking terms with the
> > > network/firewall admins (a good idea, regardless...)
> >
> > Strange world we live in! One looks at a shop window and the heavy mob
> > appear to harass you. Survellance capitalism in action? Or the sysadmin
> > is so unsure of the network security in place that it requires drastic
> > and immediate action to prevent a peep at services being offered? :)
>
> No. The sysadmin has seen folks running around with Kali Linux USB
> sticks and has decided to play safe rather than sorry. Folks are not

"safe rather than sorry"? We see the result of that strategy in Europe
today. The sysadmin has overreacted, presumably because he has little
faith in the security of the network he has devised. How would he react
if he saw folks running around with with Windows USB sticks? :)

> forbidden of trying to do network scans, but the sysadmin wants to
> know. I can't blame him (I'm on speaking terms with him ;-)

Not forbidden?

  I know a corporate network or two which would get you disconnected
  if you do that :

Disconnected? That doesn't sound permissive.

> > I was once reprimamaned by Amazon for nmapping my own network. That's
> > what I call real devotion to stamping out network discovery.
>
> Now now. No reprimands. The firewall notices and disables that one port,
> That's all.

I was controlled by an inaminte agency? Is that any better than being
controlled by an agent of survellance capitalism? Either way, my actions
are monitored. My communications are intercepted and censorship applied.

--
Brian.

--
Brian.