Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On 2022-04-08 at 15:52, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 08 Apr 2022 at 15:22:58 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 08:08:22PM +0100, Brian wrote:

>>> Now contact you highly paid sys admins to ask them to add a
>>> "Location" field to whatever the server/printer is advertising.
>>
>> So... if your corporate network is not set up in the way that
>> Brian expects, there is simply nothing you can do about it.  You're
>> just screwed, and must resort to trial and error to figure out
>> where the printers are.  Even though CUPS can magically contact the
>> printers, it will refuse to tell you how it does that, because of
>> some kind of policy decision.
>
> You didn't like my bus analogy, did you?
>
> What makes you think that knowing a bus number and destination
> provudes information for where it departs from?
>
> What makes you think that knowing an IP address tells you where any
> machine of any description is located?

I'm confused as to why you might think anyone involved in this
conversation thought that.

There's no reason to expect that knowing an IP address tells you the
location of the device at the other end.

However, if CUPS did autodiscovery and found the printer, then it must
know what the place is that it was looking at when it found that device.

Unless I'm missing something, the options are that either CUPS found the
printer in a list of printers being maintained somewhere else (e.g. a
print server on the network), or CUPS found the printer on the network
directly.

If CUPS found the printer on a list of printers being maintained
somewhere else, then it must have also found information about that
"somewhere else", and that information might include an IP address.

If CUPS found the printer on the network directly, then it certainly
also found the printer's IP address.

Regardless, if CUPS can send a print job to the printer, then it must
have some information to be able to route the job towards that
destination - and that information will certainly include an IP address
at some point along the way, either that of the printer or of the print
server or of some other intermediary system.

What I understood Greg as asking about is how to get CUPS to *tell* you
what the IP address it knows about for a given printer object is. That
doesn't seem to be an unreasonable thing to want to know, or to expect
CUPS to be able to provide; I'd want the same thing, in anything
remotely like his place.

If the printer happens to be one from a central print server, CUPS might
not have its IP address locally - but being able to get the information
for that print server (whether IP address or hostname or whatever else),
along with the identifier used on that print server for the printer,
might well be enough to make it possible to proceed forward anyway.

--
   The Wanderer