Re: CUPS - how to match autodetected printers to physical ones

On Fri 08 Apr 2022 at 20:08:22 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 08 Apr 2022 at 12:10:37 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > How is one *supposed* to figure out which autodetected printer is the
> > correct one, apart from trial and error?
>
> Fancy an analogy?
>
> My local bus intercange has display screens showing bus nummbers and
> destinations (IP addresses). It does not display the stands the buses
> start from. Whose responsibillity is that down to?
>
> You got it!
>
> Now contact you highly paid sys admins to ask them to add a "Location"
> field to whatever the server/printer is advertising.

Where I used to work, they got this right: they put /user/ information
into the Queue name, where it can't but be seen, using the pattern
DeptRoom_unusualCharacteristics.

So MathsB037 might be an ordinary one (A4 B&W), and PhysicsS221_A3_colour_foil
would be something rather special, that might only operate at certain
times of day when they load the foil.

Cheers,
David.