Re: Problem downloading "Installation Guide for 64-bit PC (amd64)"

On 4/7/22, Cindy Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/7/22, Richard Owlett <rcowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>> I need a *HTML* copy of "Installation Guide for 64-bit PC (amd64)" for
>> *OFFLINE* use.
>>
>> The HTML links on [https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual]
>> lead *ONLY* to Page 1.
>>
>> Is the complete document downloadable as a single HTML file?
>

> Have you seen the "installation-guide-amd64" package in Debian's
> repositories? I'd never seen it before. Stumbled upon it about a month
> ago. I just launched it, and it looks similar to what's on your page
> there, just for Bookworm instead of Bullseye for me. Mine doesn't have
> that opening "Welcome" chapter, but there are all kinds of references
> to how to install throughout the rest of it.

I went back and looked at my copy some more. It also doesn't (?)
present that handy part about prerequisites. If that's something
that's also needed, I took a hint from wayback-machine-downloader [0]
and tried searching apt-get's repositories for similar. Ended up with
"webhttrack" which says:

"Description-en: Copy websites to your computer, httrack with a Web interface
 WebHTTrack is an offline browser utility, allowing you to download a World
 Wide website from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively
 all directories, getting html, images, and other files from the server to
 your computer, using a step-by-step web interface.
 .
 WebHTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply
 open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can
 browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online.
 HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume
 interrupted downloads. WebHTTrack is fully configurable, and has an
 integrated help system."

One issue would be for those websites that use hard (full, long) links
instead of the relative ones. I just viewed your online link's source
code, and the links, thankfully, appear to be relative. Thank you,
Debian Developers!

PS Looking one more time at WebHTTrack's self-description, fingers
crossed that maybe it creates relative links as it works its magic,
regardless of what the original website's webmaster did. THAT would
nice!

Cindy :)

[0] https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader

* runs with birdseed *