Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Tue 05 Apr 2022 at 03:01:30 (-0400), gene heskett wrote:

> mail2world, whom shentel uses as a mailserver, running dovecot could do a
> better job of filtering that, but I probably field 2 to 4 such emails
> that aren't actually addressed to me a day. I don't understand the
> mechanism that puts such in my inbox when its not addressed to me, even a
> Bcc should I think be addressed to me to get put into my imap queue.

One might assume that the envelope's RcptTo contains your address.
Such metadata is sometimes, but not always, transcribed into an
email header in your inbox.

Obviously a Bcc email sent to you is not going to have your
address anywhere in the email headers when it is sent, else
it wouldn't be blind.

Cheers,
David.