Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

* 2022-04-04 07:40:47-0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> This isn't really debian-specific, but I don't know a better place to
> ask... recently, I've been having servers make a large number of
> attempts to access my mail host using what appear to be random strings
> as usernames -- it looks like this:

> They all have the same form: <something random>.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net

That pattern is the Message-ID field generated by Emacs message-mode (or
some component under it). Just look at your or my message's Message-ID
field.

> So, anybody have any ideas what's up here?

I would guess that someone has tried to automatically collect a lot of
email addresses and ended up getting also those message id's. Then an
attacker tries to intrude with those addresses.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/