Re: random usernames in attempts to break in to my machine?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 07:40:47AM -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> This isn't really debian-specific, but I don't know a better place to
> ask...  recently, I've been having servers make a large number of
> attempts to access my mail host using what appear to be random strings
> as usernames -- it looks like this:
>
> Apr  4 03:04:30 snowball saslauthd[1179]: pam_unix(:auth): check pass; user unknown
> Apr  4 03:04:30 snowball saslauthd[1179]: pam_unix(:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=
> Apr  4 03:04:33 snowball saslauthd[1179]:                 : auth failure: [user=1b391vovbh.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net] [service=] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]
>
> They all have the same form: <something random>.fsf@pfeifferfamily.net
>
> I'm trying to understand the point; it's not like there's any chance any
> of those usernames will be valid.  This isn't they usual attempts using
> usernames like root, admin, test1, scan...  those I understand.
>
> So, anybody have any ideas what's up here?

This is normal dictionary attack. I've a host up out there, and it looks
similar. Here's what I see:

  tomas@mail:~$ sudo grep user /var/log/auth.log | sed -ne 's/^[^I]*Invalid user \([^ ]*\).*$/\1/ p' | sort -u | wc -l
  6672

So they tried 6672 different names (for roughly 1.5 days worth of
auth.log). The list starts like so:

  aadeoti
  aadil
  aagusti
  aakanksha
  aalakalabi
  aalston
  aamir
  aan
  aanaik
  aaron
  aaronkilik
  aaronli
  aaront
  aaronzhong
  aas
  aasdf

Probably some dictionary grabbed from "out there". Perhaps there's an
NPM module for it ;-D

I'll have a look whether the source iPs repeat enough that a fail2ban
could be worth the trouble...

Cheers