Re: Can't create a password successfully.

On Sun 03 Apr 2022 at 19:45:47 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 08:25:46PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Sun 03 Apr 2022 at 20:10:14 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 21:31:34 +0300
> > > PanosGR <panagoulias989@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello PanosGR,

> > > Very often passwords are required to contain a mix of upper and lower
> > > case letters and one or more numerals.  Some sites require 'special'
> > > characters (%#~$, etc) to be used, some limit their use.
> >
> > Indeed, all of this happens, usually without any explanation whatsoever.
> > For whose benefit are such requirements constructured?
> >
> > --
> > Brian.
> >

> Some of this is to make passwords harder to guess / harder to brute-force.
> Some of this is to satisfy regulatory requirements - so credit card
> transactions have particular restrictions / two factor authentication
> or similar.

My quety related to *whose benefit* these rules are imposed? Your
answer implies it is for the benefit of the website. I am not aware
of any regulatory requirements placed on the user in the UK for
devising passwords.

> One of the bits of advice is to use long passwords made up of three
> random words and to use a different password per website / to use
> your web browser to generate an appropriate random password.
> Forcing passwords to change regularly may not be a good way to
> maintain security - it can mean that people use password01, password02
> and things like that.

Changing passwords at frequent intervals? Total nonsensense as far as
advice goes.

--
Brian.