WAS: Re: Monthly FAQ for debian-user mailing list. Debian as worldwide

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 07:27:47PM +0900, 황병희 wrote:
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> writes:
>
> > (...thanks...)
> >  Debian's community is world wide; don't
> >    assume others will agree with your views or need to read them on a
> >    Debian list.
>
> Thanks, again i'll keep in mind ^^^
>
> Sincerely, Linux fan Byung-Hee from South Korea
>
> --
> ^고맙습니다 _和合團結_ 감사합니다_^))//

That was intended as just a polite reminder to think about how relevant a
comment is as you type it to a large audience.

For trivial imaginary examples: consider what if I, Andy Cater, start shouting
about UK politics, economics or the British sense of humour on a Debian list
 - it really shouldn't matter to the rest of the 7B people in the world and I'm
being over important if I think it does. In the same way, if I give my opinion
about German politics / independence for Catalunya - Germans and people in
Spain and Catalunya could say ""Who is this Andy Cater and what does he know
about anything? He should just go away and mind his own business."

Debian is everywhere on the planet in some form or another and in the
International Space Station (I think) so what's important to me isn't
locally important in Finland, Uzbekistan or Vanuatu. Sometimes, it's
difficult to see that Debian is really worldwide.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater