Re: startx xauth fails after upgrade to Bullseye 11.3

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 10:27:25PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> I seem to have rediscovered Debian bug 889720
> xauth crashes when directory name matches host name
> (Feb 2018)
>
> So, nothing to do with the Bullseye upgrade.
> I must have created that directory-matching-hostname in the
> process of setting up for the upgrade.

Huh.  That is interesting, and confusing.  Because at work, I have the
same setup as you -- my workstation's hostname is the same as my login
username, which is (obviously) also the name of my home directory.
And yet, I've never seen this problem before.

That bug report contains the clause "my .Xauthority file contains a line
like this" which is also interesting.  Mine is not a text file.  When I
view it in less, I'm warned that it's a binary file.  The file does not
contain "lines" at all (looks like a mixture of text and binary data),
and nothing that looks like "wooledg:0".  A few "wooledg", but none with
the ":0" attached.

So, there are definitely a few more variables involved in this one.  I
don't know why it works for some people (e.g. me) and not others.  I don't
know the format of the ~/.Xauthority file, or why it varies across
different Debian systems, or different login accounts.