Re: startx xauth fails after upgrade to Bullseye 11.3

Esteemed Debian experts and maintainers -

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 10:45:03PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:
> I just upgraded my first machine from 11.2 to 11.3.
> xauth fails in the context of startx.
> Message is
>   xauth:  timeout in locking authority file /home/[redacted]/.Xauthority
> both in the startx console, and if I run "xauth list"
> in the resulting X session.

Workaround: create an empty directory, cd to that,
and then startx.  Something about running startx (and therefore xauth)
in my home directory has it very confused.  It leaves behind extra
files (hard-linked to each other): .Xauthority-c and .Xauthority-l.

  - Larry