Re: Predictable Network Interface Names

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 2:15 PM Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed 30 Mar 2022 at 14:39:33 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 07:18:07PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 30 Mar 2022 at 13:32:53 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > Yes.  You've now seen direct evidence of the lie.  I guess I won't need
> > > to post links to the wiki articles that say the same thing you've already
> > > observed.
> >
> > I would be interested in a couple of links to the same observations
> > as given by the OP.
>
> <https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInterfaceNames#Complications_and_corner_cases>
> tries very hard to avoid mentioning the issue directly, but ultimately
> has this paragraph down near the bottom of the section:
>
>   it turns out even after all this there are still reported cases of
>   interfaces changing their name on a reboot. All that needs to happen
>   is that some buggy BIOS (or some new, less buggy version of a driver
>   module, or systemd's naming policy) changes its mind about some detail
>   like whether or not your hardware counts as the kind that should have
>   an ONBOARD name. There are even reports of devices changing their
>   PCI-port numbering due to other hardware being installed.
>
> This links to
> <https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/linux/PCINamesNotStable> which
> goes into some detail.

Thanks. Very informative. As the second link says:

  The resulting reality is that your PCI based names are only
  stable if you change no hardware in the system. The moment
  you change any hardware all bets are off for all hardware.

This, plus your advice, could point the OP to a way forward.

How hardare specific the claim is is not explored.

> I'm sure there are many more pages like this one.
>
> > Recently, we have had a mail or two about iwd. It uses the kernel
> > interface wlan0, which broke my /e/n/i. In the end I went with the
> > flow on the basis that wlan0 is stable enough and changed /e/n/i
> > rather than fighting iwd.
>
> Wireless interfaces are not my strong suit.  I don't have any advice
> for those.

I only mentioned what I did bcause, om the whole, I am prepared to
accept interface renaming. The vast majority of users will not notice
that it has taken place.

Does anyone here know how the BSD-derived "free" unices handle this situation?
And how about free-ish Oracle/Solaris?
And AIX running on Intel hard/firmware?

--
Brian.