Re: Predictable Network Interface Names

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 07:18:07PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > That's good advice, but are MAC addresses memorable?
>
> Doesn't matter.  You can choose a memorable name.  The MAC address is
> simply the data point you place in the config file, so the system knows
> this is the interface you're talking about.
>
> unicorn:~$ cat /etc/systemd/network/10-lan0.link
> [Match]
> MACAddress=18:60:24:77:5c:ec
>
> [Link]
> Name=lan0
>
> That's what I'm using.  Of course, this relies on the MAC address being
> consistent across boots.  I've heard of some cases where this isn't
> true, but I believe those cases involved removable devices (USB network
> interfaces or similar).

Some NICs can have their MAC addresses changed permanently.

There were at least a few terrible NICs in history where an
entire production run got the same MAC address assigned.

Most NICs can have their MAC addresses reassigned after boot,
which will almost always be reset on next power cycle.

lan0 is a good name. I like names like "internal" and "dmz" and  "internet"
or "cogent" and "level3" -- either functional descriptors or
where their other ends are connected.

-dsr-