Re: its been done again. No network

On Friday, 25 March 2022 02:02:26 EDT tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 04:33:33PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > No, this link came from a cnc'er, and leads to a google drive
> > download. With linuxcnc-2.8.2 already installed.
>
> For all you know, it is running a cryptominer at night, while you
> aren't looking ;-P

While that might be a possibility, Tomas, some of the results from the
latency-tests would certainly point to more digging to see why it was as
bad as it wasn't. Latency-test is a pretty brutal test, and an armhf is
clean if it does 12 microseconds. Really good wintel stuff running intel
versions of the kernel on a 4ghz machine can't do any better than 3 u-
seconds. AMD stuff is generally a few u-secs worse. I was amazed to see
4.5 u-secs out of an arm64 install. The biggest worry is that the kernel
might not be post dirty pipe enough to be fixed. It was 5.10.28 IIRC but
its not running ATM as I left it running the armhf version so I could
save about 5 years worth of its LCNC g-code history to this machine, then
boot the new version and copy it back. That lathe has learned quite a few
new dance steps since it left Chicago 80 years ago. Stuff it could not do
then in its wildest dreams. It came with fixed ratio gears you could
change from a limited recipe if imperial gears.  Those gears are in one
of its drawers now since linuxcnc can Mathematicallly do any gear ratio
you want, metric or imperial. Need for some reason, a 57.3 tpi tapered
thread? It's just programming a G76 move.The gears are all math, no
teeth. And little noise. At steel cutting speeds, this machine moves like
casper the ghost.

> [SCNR]

Grins and snarky remarks are ok, but now you are in my territory. ;o

> Cheers
> --

Take care, and stay well Tomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.