Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?

Mon cheri

Your instructions and explanations are so clear and concise that even a beginner (what's the urban slang for it? Is it n00b?) is able to follow them without problems.

> Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2022 at 10:31 PM
> From: "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?
>

> > source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> I would change this line to
>
> source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
>
> (which was the default on new buster installations).

Am I right to say that the default in Debian 11's installation is simply:

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

> The thing to remember (and so many don't) is that the /e/n/i
> files are retaining the active network configuration, and
> need to be kept in place until you have downed the interface.
> Only /then/ should you make changes to the files.
>
> Don't do what works with many other daemons, which is to change
> the configuration files first, and then try to "restart" networking:
> ifdown followed by ifup. That confuses it.

The above is very instructive. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Best wishes

Stella