Re: swap maxed out when plenty of RAM available

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 12:21 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 14:55:34 +0000
> Adam Weremczuk <adamw@matrixscience.com> wrote:
>
> > It has 512 MB of memory and 512 MB of swap assigned and typically
> > needs 50-100 MB to operate.
>
> The rule of thumb to which I am accustomed is to have a swap space
> double the physical RAM. If necessary, you can create a swap file and
> add that to your /etc/fstab. That might help with your current problem.
That said, there is probably something else going on here. Logs
on a tmpfs, maybe?

That's the usual issue. The /tmp filesystem is usually configured to live in RAM,
at some point an application needed to use lots of it. It may not have freed it properly
from dying or maybe it's still running, or just misbehaving :-)
If this happens often, consider building a larger /tmp in a real filesystem on a real drive.

-dsr-