Re: Report a bug against which package - unattended-upgrades / apt / dpkg ??

On 21/03/2022 14:02, Dan Ritter wrote:
Dr. Alex Sheppard wrote:
Hi,

    Unattended upgrades ended up removing some of the packages it was was
going to upgrade ... bind9 being one of them and thereby breaking DNS on a
client's network.

    Is this a bug in unattended upgrades, or a bug in apt or dpkg? Here is
an extract from my unattended-upgrades.log to illustrate.

    FTR: I'm struggling to think how bind9 could have been installed as a
dependency for something else on the machine in question. I am pretty sure I
would have installed it manually which gives extra surprise to it being
autoremoved.
unattended-upgrades should not be allowed to autoremove. Doing
so always ends up with surprises, unless you have pre-tested
everything and keep your own apt repo a day or two behind
Debian's.

Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Dependencies "false";
Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies "false";

However,
Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Kernel-Packages
is usually safe, unless you have very specific reasons to keep
multiple old kernels around.

-dsr-

Thanks Dan, I've updated my config accordingly to avoid this happening in future :-)

It's not so urgent for me now, but I still get the feeling there is a bug to report.

My config had the normal "like apt-get autoremove" disabled as per default
"""
// Do automatic removal of unused packages after the upgrade
// (equivalent to apt-get autoremove)
// Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Dependencies "false";
"""

Whereas removing newly unused packages was enabled  - also as per the default
"""
// Do automatic removal of newly unused dependencies after the upgrade
// Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies "true";
"""

My issue arose not from doing "the equivalent to apt-get autoremove" but by whatever "Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies" does. Does anybody know how the logic of this works / what commands are run to achieve this?

The way I see it there is a bug in either:

    a) The logic in unattended-upgrades of how it goes about fulfilling "Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies"

        or

    b) An underlying command that is called to fulfill the "Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies" operation

        or

    c) Uninstalling a package that it just upgraded seems like a mistake that ought to be catchable, but if there is just no way to do the "Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies" operation without risk of something important getting installed, the bug is that this is enabled by default.

So, unless anyone can explain otherwise, I think there is a bug to report against unattended-upgrades.

Dr. Alex Sheppard
http://www.das-computer.co.uk