Re: Report a bug against which package - unattended-upgrades / apt / dpkg ??

Dr. Alex Sheppard wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Unattended upgrades ended up removing some of the packages it was was
> going to upgrade ... bind9 being one of them and thereby breaking DNS on a
> client's network.
>
>     Is this a bug in unattended upgrades, or a bug in apt or dpkg? Here is
> an extract from my unattended-upgrades.log to illustrate.
>
>     FTR: I'm struggling to think how bind9 could have been installed as a
> dependency for something else on the machine in question. I am pretty sure I
> would have installed it manually which gives extra surprise to it being
> autoremoved.

unattended-upgrades should not be allowed to autoremove. Doing
so always ends up with surprises, unless you have pre-tested
everything and keep your own apt repo a day or two behind
Debian's.

Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Dependencies "false";
Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-New-Unused-Dependencies "false";

However,
Unattended-Upgrade::Remove-Unused-Kernel-Packages
is usually safe, unless you have very specific reasons to keep
multiple old kernels around.

-dsr-