Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?

On 2022-03-19 13:19, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On 19/03/2022 09:06, Stella Ashburne wrote:
No thank you. I won't touch NetworkManager or its variants with a ten foot pole. Why?

Reason #1

[quote] I am sorry but we do not support NetworkManager.

I would go so far as to say do not use it at all .. but Linux distros think it is some sort of magic ..[end quote]

Reply by TinCanTech, Forum Team, to the original post "Can connect via terminal, but not with NetworkManager" (URL: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=26802)

Reason #2

[quote] Due to multiple, critical  problems in network-manager-openvpn which after years have not been solved we recommend to NOT use it. Please understand that we will not provide support to network-manager-openvpn. In GNU/Linux we recommend that you run our free and open source software "Eddie", or our free and open source software "Hummingbird", or OpenVPN directly [end quote]

A notice posted by the staff of AirVPN under the title "Using AirVPN with Debian Network Manager (NOT RECOMMENDED)" (URL: https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/11416-using-airvpn-with-debian-network-manager-not-recommended/
)

Eduardo, I do use VPNs frequently in my line of work and always use the community edition of OpenVPN to connect to VPN servers directly.

Unfortunately I cannot say whether your use case will work with NM. I occasionally use a wireguard firewall, but I don't think I've used OpenVPN with NM.

However, note that the posts are from 2014 and 2018. A lot might have changed since then.

I think the chances of that are quite good. If only because I've been using the combination of NM and OpenVPN for about 5 years now and it's been ages ago I've had trouble with it.

Grx HdV