Re: Under each of these scenarios, what is the neatest and simplest way to manipulate the /etc/network/interfaces file?

On 18/03/2022 23:14, Stella Ashburne wrote:
Hi

There are instances in which my machine is connected to a mobile hotspot. And in some situations, it's connected to a smartphone via USB tethering. And when I'm in the office, I may connect it to a LAN cable.

Below are the contents of my /etc/network/interfaces file:

[...]

1. At the moment, if I wish to change to using a mobile hotspot from USB tethering, I'll edit the /etc/network/interfaces file, uncomment the applicable lines under #The primary network interface for wireless connections and place a # in front of all the lines under #The primary network interface for USB tethering

Instead of carrying out the above steps, is there a neater and simpler way?

That's exactly the kind of situation that NetworkManager is made for. It gained a bad reputation when it was released, but seems to have improved - I've been using it for years without issues.

There's a command-line interface (nmcli), so you don't need a desktop environment.

--
On-line, adj.:
	The idea that a human being should always be accessible to a computer.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br