Re: Debian DSA-5095-1 : linux - security update

On 3/17/22, Peter Wienemann <fossdev@posteo.de> wrote:

> You can check its status using
>
> dpkg -l linux-headers-amd64

That has interesting feedback. I've been using the following for a
slightly different trek toward a similar end (includes what mine says
right now):

$ apt-cache policy linux-headers-amd64
linux-headers-amd64:
  Installed: 5.16.12-1
  Candidate: 5.16.12-1
  Version table:
     5.17~rc8-1~exp1 1
          1 http://deb.debian.org/debian experimental/main amd64 Packages
 *** 5.16.12-1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Being able to compare the Installed versus Candidate fields has been
cognitively friendly as a checkpoint for my style of user generated...
issues. :D

For newer users, the various versions under "Version table" reflect
that I use "bookworm bookworm-updates experimental" as the "Suites" in
my debian.sources** file. Version table's nice to see because that
data is a constant reminder to think ahead about developing toward the
Future.

IMPORTANT: It's highly recommended that we avoid experimental. It's
just that that's the only place I can find wicd-curses. Thank you for
wicd-curses still being there, Developers! That's a priceless package.
:)

** debian-sources goes under sources.list.d as an alternative to
sources.list. It was a momentarily seen talking point under something
like "man sources.list" at some point in my own personal Debian
adventures.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *