Re: got a mdadm puzzler

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 07:18:56AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> 2. I've had since the last of about 20 installs of bullseye, a very early
> boot message about ata6 at the 10 and 20 second marks of the reboot  IF
> it was not a full powerdown reboot.

Did you not at any point think that letting us know what the exact
error message was would be useful here?

> So how do I go about querying mdadm to determine whats going south here?

As is so often the case with the problems you bring up, we risk
going down completely the wrong route because you do not supply
actual error messages or complete problem descriptions and just tell
us that you've decided it's a problem with XYZ subsystem. Much time
is spent looking into XYZ only to later find it was irrelevant or
the process could at least have been seriously improved by knowing
the symptoms to begin with (infamous "enabling IPv6 causes my
compile to fail" memories here).

> The man pages are quite verbose, but I can't seem to find how to query
> what it has, without supplying the device names of all drives that s/b
> part of the array.
>
> And why do I see the ata6 error on a reboot, but not on a full powerdown
> reboot?

So, WHAT IS "THE ATA6 ERROR"?

Without knowing that it's very hard to speculate but I would point
out that things like "ATA" are way below the level of md which just
knows about block devices. So if you are seeing an "ata6 error" it
most likely has nothing whatsoever to do with your md setup, except
in the sense that if you are having problems with your storage
devices it's obviously going to percolate upwards and cause you RAID
grief too.

> This is my first experience at software raid, so I am a new bee. My
> fingers are at your command.

Then I command them to tell us useful information BEFORE you decide
where the problem lies.

However, if you do want to know more about investigating your mdadm
setup, you already got the hint about cat /proc/mdstat. Here's some
other stuff:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Asking_for_help

Thanks,
Andy