Re: system lock up, not sure if related to "your system is too slow"

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2022-03-06 07:12:10 -0500, songbird wrote:
>> when i search for this kind of problem on the internet i come
>> up with:
>>
>> https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-why-am-i-getting-event-processing-lagging-behind-msg-in-ubuntu-20-10/
>>
>> which says ignore it
>>
>> while the following two give me the hope that it is some
>> kind of bug that might get fixed.
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=968093
>>
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-libinput/-/issues/46
>
> My opinion is that the behavior is normal and that the bug is the
> message itself, i.e. libinput misdetects a potential issue. No-one
> knows the cause yet, possibly a buggy timestamp. AFAIK, users
> (including me) who see this message haven't notice any slowness
> issue.
>
> Well, only if you get something like more than 100ms, perhaps you
> need to worry. But even 100ms, that's a fraction of second, thus
> not related to a lock up.

  thanks for the reply,  :)

  ok, any ideas how to get a crash instead of a lockup so i can
figure out where the problem might be?

  right now it locks solid and i can't get a core file at all.
all my log files are not giving me any clues either the Xorg
one is the only one that's telling me anything relating to
what is happening (some kind of IO issue).

  it happens when i'm typing, not at other times.  it might
only be typing in the browser (firefox).  i'm not sure if the
issue is the keyboard driver, the USB subsystems or xorg stuff
or the browser and i'm not sure how to get it isolated.  any
tips would be greatly appreciated.  :)

  all my drives are SSD and they seem to not be having trouble
recovering from the lockups when i restart the machine but it
would be nice to have some more detailed logs of what is going
on and those would need to be sync'd to make sure i'm catching
them completely, but that's better than the nothing i'm coming
up with now for figuring this out.  :)

  songbird