Re: strange boot messages

cc-ing as requested

On Sun, Feb 27 2022 at 09:01:31 AM, Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org> wrote:
> I'm running Debian 11.2 stable on a Linode (a popular VPS).  After a recent update, I think from
> around 25th of January, I'm starting to see some strange messages in
> my logs:
>
> systemd[1]: First Boot Complete was skipped because of a failed
> condition check (ConditionFirstBoot=yes).
>
> systemd[1]: getty on tty2-tty6 if dbus and logind are not available
> was skipped because of a failed condition check
> (ConditionPathExists=!/usr/bin/dbus-daemon).
>
> systemd[1]: Platform Persistent Storage Archival was skipped because
> of a failed condition check
> (ConditionDirectoryNotEmpty=/sys/fs/pstore).
>
> systemd[1]: Set Up Additional Binary Formats was skipped because all trigger condition checks failed.
>
> systemd[1]: Store a System Token in an EFI Variable was skipped
> because of a failed condition check
> (ConditionPathExists=/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderFeatures-4a67b082-0a4c-41cf-b6c7-440b29bb8c4f).
>
> systemd-udevd[277]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command line, ignoring.
>
> systemd[1]: fast remote file copy program daemon was skipped because
> of a failed condition check (ConditionPathExists=/etc/rsyncd.conf).
>

> Are these just informational or are these problems I need to fix?  I
> did some searching but couldn't find much.
>
> Please CC me, I'm not currently on the list.
>
> Michael Grant

These are normal.  Several bits of bootup are conditional based on the
ambient environment (whether it is a first boot, whether you have
specific hardware features such as pstore or efi available, or whether
you have particular binary packages are installed, etc.).  My system has
the same messages in slightly different format.

Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Kernel Module supporting RPCSEC_GSS being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Set Up Additional Binary Formats being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in File System Check on Root Device being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Rebuild Hardware Database being skipped.Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Platform Persistent Storage Archival being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in First Boot Complete being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:28 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Virtual Machine and Container Storage (Compatibility) being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:29 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:29 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Set Up Additional Binary Formats being skipped.
Feb 23 22:26:29 copper systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in File System Check on Root Device being skipped.

I guess either a version or a configuration difference results in your
system logging the actual condition.

--
regards,
kushal