Re: strange boot messages

On 2/27/22, Michael Grant <mgrant@grant.org> wrote:
> I'm running Debian 11.2 stable on a Linode (a popular VPS).  After a recent
> update, I think from
> around 25th of January, I'm starting to see some strange messages in
> my logs:
>
> systemd[1]: First Boot Complete was skipped because of a failed condition
> check (ConditionFirstBoot=yes).
>
> systemd[1]: getty on tty2-tty6 if dbus and logind are not available was
> skipped because of a failed condition check
> (ConditionPathExists=!/usr/bin/dbus-daemon).
>
> systemd[1]: Platform Persistent Storage Archival was skipped because of a
> failed condition check (ConditionDirectoryNotEmpty=/sys/fs/pstore).
>
> systemd[1]: Set Up Additional Binary Formats was skipped because all trigger
> condition checks failed.
>
> systemd[1]: Store a System Token in an EFI Variable was skipped because of a
> failed condition check
> (ConditionPathExists=/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderFeatures-4a67b082-0a4c-41cf-b6c7-440b29bb8c4f).
>
> systemd-udevd[277]: Network interface NamePolicy= disabled on kernel command
> line, ignoring.
>
> systemd[1]: fast remote file copy program daemon was skipped because of a
> failed condition check (ConditionPathExists=/etc/rsyncd.conf).
>

> Are these just informational or are these problems I need to fix?  I
> did some searching but couldn't find much.
>
> Please CC me, I'm not currently on the list.

I can't answer that, but I can share in this curiosity from within
Bookworm. Goes back to 2022.02.20 for one partition and 2022.02.14 for
the other Bookworm partition.

The /var/log/sys* variants date back further than that which is
notable since yours starting appearing even earlier. Our date
difference could somehow be about the releases that we're each using.
The date differences for mine stand out since both partitions are
updated basically daily per each with minimal difference in the
packages affected each day, mostly just libreoffice as the difference.

Grepping dmesg for "skipped" found these:

systemd[1]: File System Check on Root Device was skipped because of a
failed condition check
(ConditionPathExists=!/run/initramfs/fsck-root).
systemd[1]: Repartition Root Disk was skipped because all trigger
condition checks failed.

Grepping /var/log/sys* for "skipped" shows that I likely received
most, if not all, of the other ones you shared here.

System is running, but it makes one wonder what might run even
smoother if those weren't appearing. I'm not seeing a glaring "E" or
"error" so there's that comfort. That word "failed" is interesting,
but maybe it just means we have defaults set that are intended to
speed up booting or something?

Or not.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *