[solved] Re: Trying to deug initramfs boot delay

Hi,

thanks, Andrew and Charles for the replies. I finally managed to (sort of)
fix the issue with the delayed boot.

First, for the record, in case someone comes here via the archives:

the ".enuineIntel.align.0123456789abc" file in the initrd appears to be
quite normal (strange as it sounds - at least to me), as well as the many
lines in the initramfs.debug file looking like

+ read -r MNT_FSNAME MNT_DIR MNT_TYPE MNT_OPTS MNT_FREQ MNT_PASS MNT_JUNK
+ continue

followed by a return value of 1.

I checked with an ancient Dell Latitude X1 laptop with bullseye 32-bit
installed I have here (I don't know why it never occured to me to look
there before starting to asking dumb questions on the list).

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:45:34 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

(...)
> I have one of these: I found that the multi-arch .iso worked better.
> The UEFI in these is 32 bti, the processor is 64 bit - that might
> have something to do with it, particularly if there's some alignment
> issue.
>
> Mine doesn't stop for many seconds - but that's only one datum point.

You are right, of course! Out of my usual stupdity I spent a few hours
with fruitless attempts before the simplest solution came to my mind.

In fact all I had to do was to turn my 32-bit installation into multiarch
with

# sudo dpkg --add-architecture amd64

followed by

# apt-get update
# apt-get install linux-image-amd64

which here replaced the 32-bit apparmor with its amd64-counterpart and
installed a number of 64-bit libraries along with the amd64 kernel.
Then reboot into the amd64 kernel, and voilà!

compared to 2-3 sec. with the otherwise considerably slower Latitude X1),
but this certainly doesn't bother me enough to go into "debug mode"
again :-)

(...)
> I used the unofficial .iso including non-free firmware.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. Of course I used that one, too. I don't think
I'd get far with this laptop without the non-free firmware...

Thanks again, and have a nice day,

Michael

No one wants war.
		-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

(when reading the news these days, unfortunately one might feel tempted to
contradict the Captain's statement)