Re: Weird delay in ssh login

>> The connection looks like:
>>
>>     % ssh -v ...
>>     [...]
>>     debug1: control_persist_detach: backgrounding master process
>>     debug1: forking to background
>>     debug1: Entering interactive session.
>>     debug1: pledge: id
>>     debug1: multiplexing control connection
>>     debug1: channel 1: new [mux-control]
>>     debug1: channel 2: new [client-session]
>>     [ !!! a bit more than 1m30s delay here !!! ]
>
> This smells like your VM's ssh server is trying to reverse-resolve
> the client's IP address to a name until the resolver times out.

My intuition also suggests this possibility but I tried to put `UseDNS
no` in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and it made no difference.

But this prompted me to try and increase sshd's logging to `DEBUG3` and
now I do something apparently related in the log: right when the delay
ends I get:

    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: start operation timed out. Terminating.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Killing process 3659208 (gpgconf) with signal SIGKILL.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Killing process 3659209 (awk) with signal SIGKILL.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Killing process 3659214 (dirmngr) with signal SIGKILL.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Unit process 3659208 (gpgconf) remains running after unit stopped.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Unit process 3659209 (awk) remains running after unit stopped.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: user@1001.service: Unit process 3659214 (dirmngr) remains running after unit stopped.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: Failed to start User Manager for UID 1001.
    Feb 22 08:43:20 ... systemd[1]: Started Session 50020 of user <USERNAME>.

Any idea what that systemd's "start operation timed out" might be about
or how to track it down?

        Stefan