Re: about 10th new install of bullseye

On Fri 18 Feb 2022 at 19:48:40 (-0500), Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> On 2/18/22, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > David Wright composed on 2022-02-18 14:19 (UTC-0600):

> >> No idea what funkity means,
> >
> > nuts, cuckoo, fubar, whacky, loopy aka abnormal
> >
> >> nor what is significant about 15 seconds
> >> when booting.
> >
> > Boot messages scroll on vtty 1 normally for about 15 seconds, then quit.
>
> That's what I understood, too. Mine's occasionally doing something
> like that. It seems to be tied to CPU temperatures (overheating).
>
> It's really kind of weird. It's for that first few seconds of booting
> where it's running through a checkup before those boot messages begin
> appearing.

What I call the POST? Yes, well in the olden days, when we had real
CRTs, and "everything" ran at VGA resolution, you could sit back for
a minute and watch the whole light show: Graphics card, BIOS, POST,
Lilo, Kernel, and all the dmesg stuff, with the odd screen clearance
but no noticeable change in mode. (I used to scroll back and cut and
paste everything post-POST into an archived file.)

Nowadays, with these fancy flatscreens, each change in mode can lead
to a significant blank period (seconds) while it sorts itself out.

> When mine keeps flicking off like that, fanning it with a
> piece of paper gets it past that hump then it doesn't do it again.
> It's like something in the first stage is pushing the CPUs hard then
> it backs off once those messages start scrolling.

Do you mean that you hear the fan going at full speed? Yes, that's
quite normal AIUI, and seems very sensible: if nothing is monitoring
the temperature of the system, then running the fan is the failsafe state.

> That presents a detail that's not clear on Gene's case. Is the
> computer just stopping and standing at that screen,

Exactly — and if it does, what's printed, and are you aware of
anything that might be missing. Or does it reboot. Or is it still
running, but writing to one of the many serial connections?

> or is it shutting
> off? Mine shuts off.

Cheers,
David.