Re: a stop job is running for user manager

On Fri 18 Feb 2022 at 21:13:16 (+0000), Richmond wrote:
> Махно <mindaugasceliesius@gmail.com> writes:

> >> For me, the effect is very much smaller, and I don't think I'd miss
> >> most of what it wants to remove. The difference may be because you run
> >> a DE and I don't. (I've made no attempt to analyse the output below.)
> >>
> >> The obvious alternative is either put up with the delay, or research
> >> what might be causing it. There's a link near the top of the page you
> >> referenced, with discussions that might help, though bear in mind that
> >> shortening the timeout or hammering the three finger salute aren't solutions.
> >>
> >> Perhaps backports isn't really a solution, either. There's no
> >> explanation or justification given by ddebbb.
> >>
> >> $ apt-get -s install systemd/bullseye-backports
> >> [ … ]
> >> 2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> >> [ … ]
> >> $
>
> > Hello! I would suggest that you report this issue to Debian BTS by
> > using the reportbug program. Also, i think you should wait for a
> > person, responsible for the maintenance of this package and wait for
> > an answer.
>
> Perhaps. Yesterday I found a site that suggested removing entries from
> ~/.config/autostart/
>
> There were a few in there for applications I no longer have installed,
> so I removed them, and I am monitoring to see if I see the shutdown
> delay again. It maybe relates to a gnome bug which was not fixed in
> Mate. It is hard to tell from journalctl which error if any relates to
> the delay.

That seems like a step in the right direction. A quick question:
do you logout before you shutdown or not? It might be possible to
observe whether the delay is during logoff or shutdown.

(It's not directly relevant, but when running bullseye in 512MB,
it helps to kill the browser, terminate X, logout, and shutdown
in turn, because the agressive parallelism of systemd works against
you with such limited memory.)

Cheers,
David.