Re: unknown error message

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 07:17:44PM +0000, ghe2001 wrote:
> Does anybody know what:
>
> Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is masked
>
> means?  What is '.mount' and what does 'masked' mean?

It's not ".mount".  It's "-.mount".  Specifically, it's a
systemd.mount(5) unit created to represent the root (/) file system.
The / is converted to a - in the unit name.

> I looked on the web and found a discussion involving something called "zynthian."  My log repeats the sentence several times -- from syslog and daemon.

I see this error reported on a pretty regular basis, but there isn't
a single cause for it.  I've heard of *several* different possible
sources.

> It happens only when I 'apt update'

That rings a bell, but I don't remember the precise details.  Are you
a synaptic user, by chance?  It might be a synaptic thing, either because
synaptic is currently running, or because it broke something.

Or... it could be something entirely different.  I believe I've also heard
of this problem being triggered by gparted.  Have you used gparted in
the last few days?

If you can't find an answer with Google, try the standard troubleshooting
steps.  Read the logs, check the status of everything, etc.

systemctl status -- -.mount    would be a good starting point.  Mine
says:

unicorn:~$ systemctl status -- -.mount
● -.mount - Root Mount
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/fstab; generated)
     Active: active (mounted) since Fri 2022-02-04 07:12:29 EST; 2 weeks 0 days>
      Where: /
       What: /dev/sda7
       Docs: man:fstab(5)
             man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)

Warning: some journal files were not opened due to insufficient permissions.

Of course, running it as root would give additional details.