Re: Add GRUB modules to core-Image

On Mon 14 Feb 2022 at 10:54:21 (+0100), basti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to use a USB Serial-Converter to output the grub menu on a
> Serial port.
>
> By the way the output is working at kernel boot time. (I See it on the
> remote host)
>
> How can I add usbserial_pl2303.mod to the GRUB core image?
>
> The file is located in /boot/grub/i386-pc/ on the root partition but I
> can't see it in /boot/grub/i386-pc/ in the grub shell.

In the grub shell, try:

Grub> insmod usbserial_pl2303

(If you can't remember its entire name, you may find that
Grub> insmod usbs<TAB>p<TAB>
works, with the TAB invoking the completion facility.)

To make it permanent, you can edit /etc/default/grub. This file has
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'
near the top, and that command can find you the option for adding:

GRUB_PRELOAD_MODULES=usbserial_pl2303

After adding that line, rerun:

# update-grub

to incorporate it into your grub.cfg.