Re: let me understand this - packages delay

On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 10:17:48PM +0100, Maurizio Caloro wrote:

> Hello, please this is a friendly request and a discussion starter
>
> keep asking myself why there are such big version differences
> between the publisher and the packages.
>
> -Buster 10.11-
> ii  postfix 3.4.14-0+deb10u1, was announced June 27, 2020
> ii  dovecot-core 1:2.3.4.1-5+deb10u6, was announced Feb 5, 2019
> ii  spamassassin 3.4.2-1+deb10u3, was announced Sep 16, 2018
> ii  openssl 1.1.1d-0+deb10u7, was announced Sep 11, 2018
>
> I see that Bullseye would have newer releases (sorry, i'dont check this now)
> but can this really only be renewed with Package mechanismus, so i need
> to run a global upgrade of the OS?

Timescale of building support and testing is something like this:

Debian 10 Buster is released July 6th 2019. At that time, the next release
is forked as testing to eventually become Debian 11 - Bullseye.
After two years of test and development, it's released.

Debian 11 is released July 14th 2021 and Bookworm is forked ...
Debian 10 Buster is supported until July 14th 2022 by the main Debian team.

So every release releases with packages that have been tested for about
two years prior to release, are patched, are stable and are supported
for a further year after the next release. [And then maybe some LTS/ELTS
support thereafter].

If you don't run a "global update" of the system fairly regularly, you don't
get security fixes. That's an apt update ; apt upgrade or equivalent.

For a very few packages, they are updated very regularly becuse old versions
have no support upstream - especially web browsers like Firefox/Chromium.
At any given point, if a package becomes impossible to support, it may
be removed from the package archive. This can happen with point releases,
especially if the package no longer functions For a very few packages, they are updated very regularly becuse old versions
have no support upstream - especially web browsers like Firefox/Chromium.
At any given point, if a package becomes impossible to support, it may
be removed from the package archive. This can happen with point releases,
especially if the package no longer functions or is dependent on a service
that no longer exists, for example.

> every system that i run will be installed with Debian, and iam happy with
> it!
> i would appreciate it if packages were kept reasonably up-to-date. certainly
> not extreme that you should follow up on every patch or release, but would
> still be a bit more up-to-date without having to upgrade an entire OS.

When it does come time to upgrade a Debian system to the next major version
this is supported and is well explained in release notes. This doesn't always
follow with other Linux distributions.

> please this should be a friendly discussion/review, thanks
>
> --
>
> if your tires profile expire, you have also put the hole car to trash?

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater